Investment in cycling brings a great financial return
Helsinki achieved an eight fold return on investment on cycle infrastructure in the city, the highest return on investment among all transport forms.
More cycling = Safer roads
Research and statistics both suggest that the more people that cycle, the safer cycling becomes. This is in part due to increased awareness of vulnerable road users, but also because with numbers comes pressure on authorities to cater to the people’s needs. In the 2016 London Mayoral election, cycling was the fifth most tweeted topic at 9%. Make cycling an election issue and progress soon follows.
Cycle lanes increase retail sales
On 8th and 9th Avenue, the USA’s first attempt at a protected bicycle lane, the infrastructure’s arrival correlated with an average 49% increase in turnover against a 3% rise in the same period borough wide.
Even cycling with air pollution is better than not cycling?
A Cambridge University study shows the benefits of cycling outweigh the negative health impact of active travel in polluted cities, at least until you’ve cycled 90 minutes in 100 μg/m3 or more.
Electric bikes aren’t cheating
One Norwegian study demonstrated that aboard pedal cycles users were utilising 58% of their lung capacity, while electric assistance on max output still recorded an average of 51% of lung capacity use.
A similar study in Colorado found notable improvements to 20 e-Bike user’s cardiovascular health, with improved aerobic capacity and blood sugar control noted in all cases.
Cycling brings health benefits
82% of those who took up cycling as part of their commute believe they are now healthier.
In 2011 prices, a typical UK cycling city could be worth £377 million in savings to the NHS in healthcare costs.
The ECF estimates healthcare savings tied to cycling to be worth €191.27 billion a year.
Cycling brings health benefits
To name a few positives, cycling offers:
- increased cardiovascular fitness
- increased muscle strength and flexibility
- Reduced risk of Type 2 Diabetes
- improved joint mobility
- decreased stress levels
- strengthened bones
- decreased body fat levels
- prevention or management of disease
- reduced anxiety and depression.
Cycling reduces congestion
Around the globe congestion is choking our cities and seeing annual pollution targets breached just days into the year. Costing over €100 billion annually, congestion sets European cities back to the equivalent of 1% of the entire EU GDP.
Cycling boosts tourism
Cycle tourism represents 10% of Germany’s entire tourism revenue.
Cycle tourists tend to spend on average 9% more than those arriving in cars.
Cycleways – The Voice for Cycling and Cyclists in Kenilworth, Leamington Spa and Warwick.
Cycleways is a volunteer group, founded in 1995, campaigning for better cycle provision in the area.
We want cycling as a means of transport for everyone; old and young, the serious club rider through to the weekend leisure rider; Cycleways is open to all irrespective of age, race, gender or sexuality and aims to speak for all!
Cycleways represents cyclists to the Council at County, District and Town level, ensuring that your voice is heard. We work to develop the cycle network and monitor danger-zones around the area and suggest safer junctions.
Cycleways wants a cycle friendly Kenilworth, Leamington Spa and Warwick which will benefit businesses, the environment and public health. Warwick District should be a fantastic place to cycle, it is one of the flattest parts of England. Unfortunately, provision for cyclists is severely lacking.
- to make cycling safer in Kenilworth, Leamington Spa and Warwick
- to encourage people of all ages to cycle
- to advise companies on how to make provision for their employees and customers who cycle
- to help transport bodies consider cyclists when planning routes / road layouts
- to educate motorists to become more “cycle-aware”
- to form links with other groups
Is This You?
• A local cyclist? Or interested in cycling locally?
• Do you believe that we need to improve local facilities for cyclists?
• Would you like to see more cycle routes?
• Would you like a say in local planning decisions affecting cyclists?
If you answered YES to any of these questions, you should join Cycleways – the cycle campaign group for Kenilworth, Leamington, Warwick and surrounding areas.
- Your membership increases the influence of our voice, so you are helping by just being a member.
- Supporters receive our newsletters with all the latest information on cycling in the area.
- John Atkins Cycles, Mike Vaughan Cycles and Giant Leamington (was The Bike Yard) kindly offer a discount (usually 10% on non-sale items) for members showing a current membership card.
- Cycleways is a member of Cycling UK (formerly CTC), so you can purchase Affiliate Membership to Cycling UK for just £26 per year, giving you third-party insurance.
Membership is just £10 (per household) annually.
Membership: Just £10!
Bike to School Week is a week-long event across the UK to showcase the many benefits of cycling to school. It takes place from 28 September to 2 October 2020.…Read More
Clara Jørgensen Having grown up in Denmark, cycling has been an integrated feature of both my childhood and adulthood and a skill that I have been keen to pass on…Read More
Key Features: Cycle Infrastructure Inspectorate – similar in principle to Ofsted Local people will be given the chance to choose whether residential side streets should be closed to through traffic,…Read More